Sunday, March 7, 2010

Is Spring here....?



Well it certainly feels like spring is here. As Oregonians we are so excited to see those first few sunny days. Boy have we had some nice ones. People scramble to the feed stores and nurseries. Scared they will not get the first pick of seeds or that all the baby chicks will be gone.
We were busy little bees in our garden today. Clearing out beds. Planting a few things. I have a stack of seeds that I look through nightly. Dreaming about those hot summer days. Enjoying the fruits of our labor. I enjoy picking a few new varieties that I have never tried before. This year I picked out a melon called Golden Midget from Seed Savers Exchange. It is s small melon. Yellow on the outside and a beautiful salmon color on the inside. MMMMM. I also started some Zeppelin Delicata Squash. I have had it before but never planted it. I am really looking forward to that. Being surrounded by the seeds daily at work makes it tempting to try so many new things. Although I find myself running out of room. Although we have found some room for a few new chicks. We love the eggs and know a few people that will buy them. Our new additions are Judy a Black Sex Link, Shino a Silver Grey Dorking and Coco and Cuckoo Maran. Coco will lay chocolate colored eggs. I had to explain to Danny that they wouldn't actually be chocolate eggs. Fitting that Coco is his chicken.

No comments: